Wednesday 30 November 2022

Now all that's left

Earlier today, I was waiting to Skype with elder daughter in London, when the CBC flashed up in my newsfeed. Christine McVie, the other (and original) female vocalist and pianist in Fleetwood Mac, has died.

One of the perks of babysitting in my misspent youth was access to the music collections of others. 

This song, written, played, and sung by Christine McVie, became one of my lifelines in troubled times. Not because of the lyrics, which are your standard "longing from a distance" kind (perfect for adolescence), but for the soaring melody and full-bodied setting. 

If we can't hold on to the artist, thank goodness we can hold on to the music.  
I'm dancing to the music 
Of a simple melody 
And I wonder are you thinking 
Of a single memory
And I know when I see them swaying 
I can hear myself saying:  
Come a little bit closer 
Because I remember the time 
When you held me in your arms  
And you wanted to be mine 
Everything good, everything gold 
Now all that's left is a sweet memory 

If you love me, let me know 
Why don't you show me which way to go? 
Please don't leave me all alone 
Because I can't make it on my own 
And I know when I see them swaying 
I can hear myself saying:  
Come a little bit closer  
Because I remember the time 
When you held me in your arms  
And you wanted to be mine 
I may be wrong, but that's where I belong 
Why are you just a sweet memory?

No comments: