One thing I finally managed to do after years of just missing, was attending a bit of the "B-film Festival" at the Cameron Bandshell this past summer. The festival originally showed honest-to-gawd B films, but has evidently found that family-friendly classics and action films draw the crowds, so I settled into my hard bench to watch Some Like It Hot.
This was a good choice because I've seen it many times before, so could slip away in time to catch a bus home, because downtown Victoria is a wee bit creepy on a Saturday night, and I was on my own while the Resident Fan Boy and younger daughter visited elder daughter in Ottawa for Chamberfest.
It was a clear night which meant it got cold very quickly, and I caught a glimpse of a shooting star spitting to the south, and a bird of prey circling uncomfortably close to the blue heron nests next to the clearing.
At about 10:25, just before Tony Curtis and Marilyn Munroe got into some heavy necking, I crept from my seat and felt my way nervously around the dark duck ponds, rather wishing I had the nerve to stop and star-gaze. Good thing I didn't because my bus came five minutes early and fifteen minutes later, I found myself crossing a nearly deserted Yates Street, and there was Mars, hanging red and clear above the schoolyard. As I turned south, Jupiter shone silver to my left.
I trotted home to the apartment I'd carefully lit before leaving, and missed my family, while drinking in my solitude wistfully.
It wasn't until the morning that I discovered the mosquito bites. They were clear and red too.
"Tall And Tan And Young And Lovely, The Girl From Ipanema Goes Walking..."
-
If you hadn't heard, today is National Talk In An Elevator day. Each year,
we use this day to step out of our comfort zone, go beyond the small talk,
and...
15 hours ago

No comments:
Post a Comment