Wednesday 16 December 2020

It's a big enough umbrella

There were people with way too much time on their hands before this pandemic, y'know. 

 I don't know how I managed to miss this YouTube mash-up from ten years ago (which explains, in part, the misty quality of the video, I suppose). 

I've posted this type of Peanuts thing before; it seems to lend itself well to pop songs, but when this transformation of Linus into an early eighties reggae-rock-pop stylist turned up on my YouTube feed today, younger daughter hooted in delight. Near the end, she queried, "Who's the lead singer of The Police?" and I felt the weight of the years. 

I've just discovered that this video is "YouTube only". If you click on the "Play on YouTube link", it'll work. 
 (Good Grief.)
Though I’ve tried before to tell her 
Of the feelings I have for her in my heart 
Every time that I come near her 
I just lose my nerve as I've done from the start 

Every little thing she does is magic 
Everything she do just turns me on 
Even though my life before was tragic 
Now I know my love for her goes on 

Do I have to tell the story 
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met? 
It's a big enough umbrella 
But it's always me that ends up getting wet 

 I resolved to call her up 
A thousand times a day 
And ask her if she'll marry me 
Some old-fashioned way 
But my silent fears have gripped me 
Long before I reach the phone 
Long before my tongue has tripped me 
Must I always be alone

No comments: