Tuesday 1 December 2020

Some walk in the hollow

Back in the days when I had very small children and no computer, I'd huddle next to the radio speakers on cold Saturday evenings - our house was over a century old and very difficult to heat - and listen to A Prairie Home Companion, beaming over the border from the PBS feed at the University of Washington.    

One of the guests was a folk guitarist named Martin Simpson, singing a lyrical elegy on the tragedy of Icarus. I was in the habit of taping the show, and I listened and listened to this heartbreakingly beautiful song. 

Not long afterward, Martin Simpson himself was scheduled to give a concert at Camosun College, but it would be a long, dark bus ride there and back, with the complications of arranging child-care, and I lost heart. 

I also forgot, over the years, how the song went, and who the musician was, and even after I acquired a computer, I was unable to retrieve the memory. 

A few weeks ago, Spotify sent me its weekly offerings of algorithmic suggestions, and while listening to it, I recognized Martin Simpson's unmistakeable voice. Spotify also offers playlists of individual artists, so I checked the one for him. 

And there it was. Not only that, I found a YouTube recording, something that has eluded me for years. 

The song itself is the work of Welsh songwriter Anne Lister.  
I never wanted to fly high. 
I was too fond of walking 
So when you said you'd touch the sky 
I thought it was your way of talking 
And then you said you'd build some wings 
You'd found out how it could be done 
But I was doubtful of everything 
I never thought you'd reach the sun 

You were so clever with your hands 
I'd watch you for hours 
With the glue and rubber bands 
The feathers and the lace and flowers 
And the finished wings glowed so bright 
Like some bird of glory  
I began to envy you your flight 
Like some old hero's story 

You tried to get me to go with you 
You tried all ways to dare me 
But I looked at the sky so blue 
I thought the height would scare me 
But I carried your wings for you 
Up the path and to the cliff face 
Kissed you goodbye and watched your eyes 
Already bright with sunlight 

It was so grand at the start 
To watch you soaring higher 
There was a pain deep in my heart 
Your wings seemed tipped with fire 
Like some seagull or a lark 
Soaring forever 
Or some ember or a spark 
Drifting from Earth to Heaven 

Then I believed all that you'd said 
I believed all that you'd told me 
You'd do a thing no man had ever done 
You'd touch the stars to please me 
And then I saw your wide wings fail 
Saw your feathers falter 
And watched you drop like a ball of gold 
Into the wide green water 

Now some are born to fly high 
Some are born to follow 
Some are born to touch the sky 
And some walk in the hollow 
But as I watched your body fall 
I knew that really you had won 
For your grave was not the earth 
But the reflection of the sun

No comments: