Thursday 26 August 2021

No room for rompers


I'm making my way home from dinner-call at Demeter's, when I see a couple just ahead of me on the sidewalk stop to approach a bush and smell the blossoms. 

Nuthin' wrong with that. The women of the pair, however,  is wearing an ill-advised romper. 

(N.B. All rompers are ill-advised; I once mistakenly purchased one for younger daughter, believing it to be a blouse.) 

The lower quarters of the lady's buttocks are emerging from the leg-holes, which is why they're designed for young women - and even then, they're still a bad idea.  I advert my eyes, and quickly walk past them - the woman and the man, that is. 

They abruptly stand to one side to let me by, and the fellow calls out to me in a loud jocular voice, congratulating me on "beating" them: "No, really, I congratulate you, ma'am!" he persists. 

 I laugh heartily, with a sinking and uneasy feeling that I'm being mocked. (Why? I wonder to myself. At least I'm not wearing a romper.)  I hurry up the pathway to my building. 

 It rather ruins my evening.

No comments: