Tuesday 31 May 2022

Start the evening show

And May is gone.

So is 1992.  I was rather preoccupied that year, and missed this gem from XTC.  It sounds like the end of a love affair, but was apparently a disagreement with a record company.

Still, it's bouncy and pop-py, and I rather love it.

I put on a fake smile 
And start the evening show 
The public is laughing 
I guess by now they know 
So climb from your high horse 
And pull this freak show down 
Dear Madam Barnum 
I resign as clown
 
You said I was the master of all I surveyed 
But now I'm sweeping up 
The last in line in your circus parade 

Children are clapping 
As I fall to the floor 
My heart torn and broken 
And they just scream for more 
If I'm not the sole fool 
Who pulls his trousers down 
Then dear Madam Barnum 
I resign as clown 

You tread the high wire 
Between truth and lies 
Your safety net just walked out 
Much to your surprise 
Strike up the band, love 
And let the show begin 
For this is the last time 
I'm painting on a grin

No comments: