A few weeks ago, it was announced that the City of Victoria had entered into a contract with Lime, and with dizzying speed, neon green racks have spread throughout the city, not without some controversy. Lime operates out of San Francisco, and it's an impolitic time for an American company to set up in a Canadian city.
Increasingly, though, I've been noticing more these bicycles, moving with alarming speed through our neighbourhood. Some riders sport the trademark bright green bike helmets, which are required by law here. (Bike helmets, that is -- not necessarily green ones.)
The other evening, I spotted a new station on Linden Avenue on one of my regular strolls. From a distance, I could see a fellow standing by the small cluster of racks and e-bikes, fiddling with his phone, because you need an app to access the service. He hopped on, bare-headed, and had disappeared down the hill, as I approached the sign.
I saw someone had left a sticker, and crossed the street to read it.
Well, as I said, there has been quite a bit of contention about this, particularly as some areas on the edges of Greater Victoria have Canadian bike rental companies, which means you have to switch your bike when you reach some municipal borders.
And the timing was indeed unfortunate.
I walked out this evening. The sticker had been removed.
Update - September 14th, 2026: The sticker is back. This may turn out to be a microcosm of the trade war...


No comments:
Post a Comment