The lady doesn't seem at all pleased to see me.
"Don't sit next to me," she snarls. She's sitting in the first forward-facing seat in the bus, while I've taken the sideways seat just in front of her, in order to help Demeter steady her walker.
The lady snaps a couple more times. I think she's talking to me; she never actually makes eye contact, so I ignore her.
A family boards, taking a scattering of available seats. There is a young girl among them; I'd say she's about seven. She seems to hang back; resisting her family's directions to sit down, she clings to one of the railings.
Snarly snappy lady does a complete about-face. She begins teasing the young girl and interacting with a purple bird puppet on the child's right hand.
"Does he have a name? I want to see him fly! Ow, he's pecking me!"
The girl smiles and relaxes.
So do I.
I guess I just wasn't young enough.
Maybe I needed a puppet.
"Tall And Tan And Young And Lovely, The Girl From Ipanema Goes Walking..."
-
If you hadn't heard, today is National Talk In An Elevator day. Each year,
we use this day to step out of our comfort zone, go beyond the small talk,
and...
15 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment