There's a last time for every house-sit. Usually, I haven't known it at the time. Over the past sixteen summers, I have house-sat at about ten different addresses. The houses have become my home over the weeks, before I surrender them back to their owners, hoping for another invitation to keep their house secure, the plants watered, the pets alive, while having a retreat and some elbow room in my daily visits to Demeter. I've usually been invited back, sometimes four more times.
Yesterday, I moved through a snug, but surprisingly spacious bungalow, playing a game with myself that I call "Removing the Evidence". I systematically try to remove every clue I've been there, so that the owners can return from their trip, slip into a clean bed, and not notice that I've ever been there, apart from the fact that the plants are green and blooming.
And I said goodbye to the rooms as I trundle my suitcase to the front door. This time I know. It's the last time.
"Tall And Tan And Young And Lovely, The Girl From Ipanema Goes Walking..."
-
If you hadn't heard, today is National Talk In An Elevator day. Each year,
we use this day to step out of our comfort zone, go beyond the small talk,
and...
13 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment