Saturday 1 September 2018

Taking direction

So I'm crossing Fort Street at Linden Avenue. It's a well-marked zebra crosswalk without a light. In Ottawa, no one would stop for it, but I'm in Victoria, so a car stops, and because I'm not quite the fool you might think, I smile and peer nervously around the halted vehicle to make sure I won't get mown down by whoever is coming up in the right lane.

It's a motorcycle and as I catch his eye to make sure he's stopping, he calls out to me.
"Am I heading downtown?"
"No, it's behind you."

He turns right on Linden, and by the time I catch up to him, he's consulting his phone.
"You can turn right at the next corner to head back," I tell him.
"Wouldn't it be easier to head back down Fort?"
"Well, Fort is one-way. You could take Ormond." I point out the street, which we can see from where we're standing. "Ormond will take you to Yates, and Yates will take you right back downtown."

He shakes his head doubtfully.
"I think I'll just turn."

Off he goes, hanging a right on Rockland.

It's only later that it occurs to me that Rockland only goes as far as Vancouver Street.

Oh, well. Maybe he'll listen to somebody else.

No comments: