Saturday 12 December 2020

Good morrow, masters all

I don't remember hearing the carol "Past Three O' Clock" before 1991, which was the year I acquired The Bells of Dublin, an album supporting a Christmas special (or was it the other way around?) featuring the Chieftains and various guests, including the Renaissance Singers.

Demeter was surprised I hadn't heard it.  She was raised Church of England, and had encountered it many times.

I was charmed by it.  I loved the images it summoned up: a town crier, maybe a group of travellers arriving or leaving an inn in the early hours of the morning, lamplight and torches, the horses stamping in the snow.

I imagined it being a song from the eighteenth century perhaps, or even earlier. In many entries, the song is described as "traditional".

I made up a Christmas playlist on Spotify last Christmas, and this was an early addition.


This year, I've been making a few additions, and this morning, looking over my list, I found myself mulling over the lyrics. They are a bit odd: 
Past three a clock, And a cold frosty morning, Past three a clock; Good morrow, masters all!

Born is a Baby, Gentle as may be, Son of the eternal Father supernal.

Seraph quire singeth, Angel bell ringeth; Hark how they rime it, Time it and chime it.

Mid earth rejoices Hearing such voices e'ertofore so well Carolling Nowell.  

Hinds o'er the pearly, Dewy lawn early Seek the high Stranger Laid in the manger.

Cheese from the dairy Bring they for Mary And, not for money, Butter and honey. 

Light out of star-land Leadeth from far land Princes, to meet him, Worship and greet him. 

Myrrh from full coffer, Incense they offer; Nor is the golden Nugget withholden.  

Thus then I pray you, Up, sirs, nor stay you Till ye confess him Likewise and bless him.

So I looked it up, and the carol was published in 1924.  The tune itself is traditional, called "London Waits", but the words were written by an Anglican clergyman George Ratcliffe Woodward (1848-1934) and they do sound like the sort of thing someone educated at Cambridge in the 19th century would come up with.

Oh dear, sometimes finding out stuff takes quite the shine off things...

No comments: