Saturday 26 November 2022

O, you tireless watcher!

About four years ago, I was walking down Trutch Street, which is two blocks long, and has since been renamed Su'it Street.  It's an old street, with houses dating back to pre-WW1. My toe hit the edge of an ever-so-slightly raised pavement block. In a rush of shock and adrenaline, I stumbled forward and caught my balance, resuming my journey a little shakily, and resolving to always be careful to lift my feet.

Last night, I did one of my "loops" before dropping in for Demeter's evening check.  I climbed the hill at Linden Avenue, which is also lined with heritage houses, and slipped into the shadows to gaze up at the stars.  I made a mental note to look up the constellations when I got home; I was pretty sure I was seeing Cassiopeia.

Su'it Street is just around the corner from Demeter. I was less than a block away when my toe caught the edge of that same damn pavement division.  In one of those moments that happen in a flash, yet seem to be in slow motion, I felt my body lurch forward, thought I'd be able to catch my balance, then saw the pavement, glowing in the street-lamps, hurtling towards me.  My umbrella, which I hadn't needed, flew ahead of me and popped open on the sidewalk.  I rolled to my side and wondered how I'd get up.

A couple appeared, seconds later, out of the darkness.  They'd heard my exclamation ("Oh!" I think), and seen my light vest, which dissolves through a parade of rainbow colours when it's charged.  They'd also heard and seen my umbrella.  They were patient and kind, as I stammered through my apologies, and with only two efforts, I was back on my feet.  They offered to walk me to the corner, but my legs were steady, although my knees stung a little.  Luckily, I'd been wrapped up in my cozy commuter coat, which had provided a little bit of cushioning against the body-blow.  I rummaged in my pocket, called the Resident Fan Boy, and he met me at the entrance hall of Demeter's building.

Over the next few hours, I iced my arm, cleaned the abrasion on my left temple, and ignored the stinging in my knees.

The arm is the problem.  I've done something to my wrist and elbow, and if I forget and do a sudden movement, or a twist, I am painfully reminded that I need to do things with my left hand -- if I can.  I also may need to lay aside a number of plans, which is awkward, because Christmas is coming relentlessly.

I think it was Cassiopeia I saw.  Not that it matters now.

(O you tireless watcher!  What have I done to you, that you make everything I dread and everything I fear come true? - Joni Mitchell)

No comments: