I've been wasting time on an online jigsaw puzzle site, but I justify it with the education I'm getting. I find myself drawn to the artwork ones, a lot of which are pretty damn twee, but there's also a plethora of Manet, Monet, Dürer, Botticelli, and Van Gogh.
Especially Van Gogh.
Tons of Van Gogh.
What fascinates me is how the bits of the puzzle - as I pull them together without referring to the organic original image, thank you very much - are just almost indistinguishable blobs and slashes of colour, or images that I fancy are there. The closer I come to completing it, the colours become stronger and the elements clearer, and the lines more exact. Are my eyes doing the work of bringing the art into focus? Or is it my brain filling in, much as it does when I'm listening to far-off familiar music, that I can't fully hear?
The finished picture is almost unrecognisable from what I have imagined at the beginning.
Is that how great artists work? Placing the lines, strokes, and colours just so, to let the viewer knit them together?
I came across a Van Gogh I didn't know. It was brilliant - clusters of strong colours, looking like a bouquet of bright flowers. As I worked, it became a scene of workers in a yellow field, with oranges and greens and a golden sky.
The painting turned out to be The Red Vineyards near Arle - and apparently, it's the one work for which there's a record of Van Gogh making a sale. It's now in Russia.
Perhaps I'm not wasting my time.
(Yeah, I probably am.)

No comments:
Post a Comment