Sunday 4 January 2009

The eleventh day of Christmas (drugging myself with Who news and new Whos)


There are advantages being over a certain age. I discovered that, since coming to Hades, that I can cry in public. And no one notices. So there I am sitting in Planet Coffee which is a really wonderful little coffee shop squirreled away in the Bytown Market, sorting through the thick grey sheets of younger daughter's extensive assessment report resulting from those tests back in November, y'know, when the Resident Fan Boy was knocked down and out? I had saved this for the end of Christmas, we had the feedback session in late November, so I pretty well knew what to expect, so I'm not crying from shock, it was (oh, how do I explain this?) the combination of grief over what ground appears to have been lost over younger daughter's four years of so-called integration into her local school, the consideration of how far she has come when you don't compare her to other children, but only to herself, and gratitude for the fact that somehow between the clinical terms and percentiles, this psychologist's compassion and caring still comes through. When I read an assessment report, which is never fun (unless you have a gifted child -- which I do, and even then it's a guilty pleasure, because you can't take credit for it), I look to see if I can recognise younger daughter amidst the jargon. I can, and I weep. For the compassion, for the tough road ahead, for how I've failed her. No one, as I say, notices.

It was a mixed morning. Elder daughter and I left younger daughter bellowing with excitement as she slid down the steep hill at McDonald Gardens Park, and I listened as elder daughter regaled me with the antics of "vloggers" (video loggers at YouTube) into town. Her clarinet teacher did not come down from his rather posh apartment to collect her at the lobby; he's a rather scattered young university student, so I sought out a payphone and left a rather curt message on his voice mail, informing him we'd been waiting 15 minutes after a 45-minute walk into town due to the bus strike and would wait another five before hiking back. He showed up a few minutes later and told us there would be no charge. Elder daughter informed me I'd scared him, when she joined me at the coffee shop an hour and a half later and my tears had long been safely put away. I thought I'd been firm and certainly not abusive, but I guess I'm a dragon lady after all. I heard all about Twilight on the way home; she thinks the movie is cheesy but Robert Pattinson is hot.

Matt Smith (the new Doctor on Doctor Who after David Tennant's imminent and lamented departure) is not what I'd call hot (not that I use that terminology) but he looks "interesting" if way too young. Elder daughter is miffed when I pretend to check his neck for bolts. I'm sure he'll be fine; there's always Steven Moffat's writing for consolation. Just as I'm taking this ridiculous kerfuffle as consolation now.

This morning, I told younger daughter that school starts again tomorrow. She began to weep quietly, while I told her how brave she was, and that I would do everything I could to help. Then I went into the bathroom and had a little weep myself. When I came out, elder daughter was curled up in her bed, looking at me quietly. The heating vent from the bathroom opens out into her room.

9 comments:

Jane Henry said...

Dear God Persephone, you write the most heartbreakingly beautiful posts. Really wishing everything goes as best as it can for you and your family. I'm so certain you haven't failed your daughter. How could you have done, when it's so obvious with every line you write that your constant care is for her.Hope you have a better 12th Day (Or is it 12th Night tomorrow? We always took down Christmas decs on the 6th for the Epiphany in our house, and I always thought that was 12th Night.)

Persephone said...

Epiphany is January 6th (unless you're Orthodox); Twelfth Night is the final evening of the twelve days that start with Christmas Day and so is January 5th. I've just read that it's bad luck to leave one's decorations up past Twelfth Night. We've always taken them down on Epiphany. So that explains everything...

bonnie-ann black said...

i second jane henry's sentiment -- you could not have failed and still be so heart-renderingly involved.

my belief is that christmas decorations need to stay as long as they're needed. in my family, we also count jan. 6th as 12th night -- i guess we don't count christmas as one of the "days" of christmas. sometimes our decorations have stayed up until weeks after the holiday. i've taken in recent years to decorating for "winter". still lots of candles around, and all blue and silver accent pieces. try leaving up something that makes you smile.

bonnie-ann black said...

oh yes... also meant to say i was more than underwhelmed by the choice for the new Doctor... so young -- how can he possibly have enough experience to bring moffat's wonderful dark visions of the Doctor to life?

i'm mad at DT all over again, and am taking to my bed with a box of chocolates, a bottle of port and my tears.

Persephone said...

The Resident Fan Boy is my hero all over again because he's got our new universal DVD player to work and I'm able to listen to DT's commentary in Takin' Over the Asylum. I now have Blackpool on order from Amazon.co.uk and will soon ditch our truncated, commercial-ridden version taped off BBCCanada. Hoorah!

bonnie-ann black said...

oh, you'll LOVE Blackpool... it firmly cemented my love affair with David Tennant and not just the Doctor! haven't watched any of the TOTA commentaries... i keep hoping we'll get snowed in for a day or two and i'll get to curl up with my region-free dvd player and catch up on my watching. sadly, NYC rarely, if ever, shuts down for weather. especially snow... they just shovel it into big trucks and dump it in the Hudson. in the outer boroughs where i live, you just have to fend for yourself.

Persephone said...

I've seen Blackpool many times in its entirety on YouTube, but BBCCanada butchered it. I'm looking forward to having my own copy.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I think you are doing awesome stuff by your family - I would never be convinced of you failing in that.

BTW you are the second to mention neck bolts for MS. He does a bit doesn't he?!

I too am saving the commentaries on TOTA for days when I really need a boost. Right now, with a headache I am trying to ignore because I really want to catch up with online friend, I feel like crap. I think I need sunlight again.

Persephone said...

Lisa, ahem. Did you check the time stamps on the comments about neck bolts? How do you know I wasn't the first? Hmmmmn?
(I mean, maybe I wasn't, because I don't know who else said it, but I could be first... I'm reasonably witty... I've won non-existent prizes on Sitting Tennant...)