Friday 31 May 2019

We readers are very witty

So, I'm minding my own business this morning in the coffee shop. I've just taken a big bite of my cherry/yoghurt Danish (my favourite, which is not always available), when two gentlemen approach my table. They're a bit Mutt-and-Jeff-ish - does anyone know what that is, anymore? - one fellow is pleasantly plump with a short groomed salt-and-pepper beard, and the other is very tall indeed with white hair and mustache.

The shorter man excuses himself and begins: "This may seem a little strange..." I chew and swallow quickly and apprehensively.
He continues: "We're from the Zone, and we noticed that you have a lot of books on your table. Are you a reader?"

I know The Zone is a local radio station - that's about all I know about it, except it's a rock/pop station, and, thinking they're doing some sort of survey, I quickly explain, "Well, these are mostly journals, but..." I pluck a library book from the pile. ". . . I do have an actual book here."

"So you are a reader!" they exclaim.  One of them fishes out a envelope.
"We'd like to present you with this fifty-dollar gift certificate for Bolen Books!"

My surprise and joy is unfeigned.  Bolen Books is the largest independent book-store in Victoria; they have everything.  I stare at the envelope and say, in a rather high-pitched rush of emotion:  "This is like coke!"

The two men laugh heartily and walk away, wishing me a wonderful day.  The tall one says, over his shoulder, "That was very funny."

He apparently doesn't realize that I wasn't joking.

No comments: