Tuesday 21 September 2021

Pest control

 

It's Tuesday, so there's a large infestation of cyclists on the patio of the coffee house.

My favourite table is available indoors, facing the window, which, for pandemic protocol reasons, is flung wide open all year round for ventilation, so I can hearing the bellowing fellowship outside, about a dozen feet away.  I take my seat philosophically.  They won't be there long.

As the group disperses, a bellowing fellow, having stood up, looks in the window as I happen to glance up.  I calmly avert my gaze, and resume my perusal of the journals on my table.  

I hear him muttering, but there's a mischievous edge to it.  I look up to see his head and shoulders silhouetted in the window, but I can make out the sly grin on his face.

I shake my head, and cheerfully thumb my nose at him.

The shop-owner is on counter-duty this morning, and is making her rounds, disinfecting the tables (another pandemic protocol).  

I barely resist the urge to tell her to squirt him.

No comments: