Monday 10 June 2019

Hosts in the bathroom

We watched the Tonys last night, and they actually made some sense this time, perhaps finally recovering from the in-jokey weirdness of the 2017 Emmys, hosted by Ken Spacey, before his plummet from grace.

This broadcast actually featured shows that I wouldn't mind seeing - assuming I had scads more cash than I do - including the award-winner for new Musical - Hadestown. (Gee, I'd have to see the appeal in that one, wouldn't I?)

One of the more amusing moments was a special musical number parodying a musical that didn't feature in the Tony nominations at all, but might turn up in next year's, as it's new on Broadway. I don't remember much about last year's awards at all; I'd even forgotten that Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban had hosted.

I can't embed the clip; I suspect there were copyright issues, as James Corden had it up on his YouTube station this morning, and it has been taken down. However, CBS posted it on their Facebook page, and I believe you can still see it here.

And here's the original, from the musical Be More Chill. It's kind of a complicated plot, but you'll get the idea that it's about the usual teenage problems.

No comments: