Monday 17 June 2019

Looking back across the canyon

Our favourite server at John's Place, near City Hall tells us it's her last week.  Her belly is billowing beautifully.

"Do you have an idea of who's coming?" I ask her.

Her face glows.  "It's a little girl!  I'm due in two weeks; I can't wait to get this over with.  I've had it with being pregnant!"

"Oh, I dunno," I say.  "When I was expecting, I used to tell people: 'Right now, it's all being done for me!'"

"That's a good point!"

I hasten to add: "But when the baby is out, you'll be doing the work, but you'll feel okay!"

There is a deep canyon that runs between certain women.  On one side, there are the women who've given birth, and on the other, those who have yet to make the perilous journey across the chasm.

Telling them the truth won't help.

No comments: