Friday 7 October 2022

Throw some seeds of your own

Sometimes when I'm not crazy about the playlist at the coffee shop, as was the case this morning, I retreat into my earbuds until the music gets better. 

I first heard this song while watching the 2020 documentary series The Comedy Store. The song comes up  over footage of the mourners, all famous stand-up comedians, leaving the 1977 funeral of Freddie Prinz.  All these people, who lived for laughter,  in floods of tears.  
Jackson Browne wrote the song in the early seventies. A friend, a dancer and figure skater whom Browne doesn't name, died in a house fire. 

It's a song about loss, of course, but the words turn towards hope of redeeming a life, even in the face of extinction.  With the headlines full of death, disaster, and downright foolishness, it was a song I needed to hear this morning.

Maybe you do, too.

No comments: