Thursday 22 May 2008

Inadequate, but good

I've never been much of a Star Trek fan. I liked the funny episodes like "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "I, Mudd", but for the most part I was forced to watch it, mainly because my sister (a Leo) insisted on it, along with Gilligan's Island and a host of drek. When William Shatner moved on to other stuff, like TJ Hooker, I did not follow. The new Star Trek movies? No thanks, with the exception of The Voyage Home (another funny one). Shatner moved into his self-deprecating era, and onto Boston Legal. Ho-hum. Nothing against the guy, just not a particular fan. (And this has nothing to do with his gradually looking more like the Grinch.): However, I was rifling through the more recent magazines at the speech therapist's office (instead of writing letters, or responding to reports, as I should have been doing), and came across a recent interview he did with Maclean's (that's a Canadian news magazine, for you non-Canucks). Full of that self-deprecation with a hint of the ego for which he is also famous, there were a lot of witty remarks and brief mentions of his personal tragedies, but his answer about being a parent stayed with me. I'll italicize it, but I am paraphrasing, because I don't have the article in front of me:

I've been an inadequate father, but a good one. The two go hand in hand.

Okay, buddy, I wasn't a fan before, but I am now. You've walked the walk, haven't you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharon,

It has been a long time since the watering of our latest relationship, and I fear our child doth wither in the sun.

I have returned to the internet with a boom and a swish, although I feel alone, and in a vortex, forgotten in the deepest anguish.

However, welcome back, Sharon!

I enjoyed this entry. Is McLean's the magazine you work for now? Because I don't really like Star Trekked. It's too emotional. And William Shatner is an egg of a man under the sky. But that is a nice grinch. If you get my meaning? LOL!!! Joke.

Love,
JRDUSPL

Anonymous said...

Sarah is the wench who owns David Tennant. The fanzine is a prestigious publication in his domain, the castle by the sea, and yet, no bell jar, no dice. It holds my candle on the water. I am glad to hear that you value my value. I value your value also. I LOVE YOU BLOG.

Waves and merrry happenstance,
JRDUSPL