Friday 17 April 2020

Out of puck

Okay, something's weird with Blogger, so I'm going to attempt to leave a video and flee, hoping that things in the photo archives are back to normal tomorrow.

I was born in Edmonton, Alberta, so you might be surprised to learn that I loathe hockey. (Or not.)

Oh, I did try to appreciate it in the early years of my marriage, for the sake of the Resident Fan Boy, but, face it, it's a violent, shout-y, interminable game.

However, I was born in Edmonton, so I instinctively hate anything to do with Calgary. I think it's something they put in our baby formula.

This video rather perfectly encapsulates the antipathy that Edmontonians and Calgarians feel for one another, right down to their symphony orchestras.



The theme music for "Hockey Night in Canada" strikes anticipation and longing in the hearts of hockey-lovers - and dread and a certain air of resignation into the hearts of hockey-haters. Until today, I'd never heard the whole theme. The Resident Fan Boy tells me that it's because I never hang around for the show-end credits.

The game actually ends? News to me.

No comments: