Monday 13 April 2020

The devil's playground

This whole "stay-at-home" jive hasn't affected me as much as I thought.  I mean, most of my life is pretty homebody.  (The arrival of elder daughter, who has taken over the living room and, due to a sprained ankle plus her fear that she may be an a-symptomatic COVID-carrier, all of our sizeable couch, may be the deal-breaker.)

In England, pretty well anyone who isn't "essential service" has been under lockdown for about a month now.

One of the strangest - and most British - byproducts of the situation has been the transformation of the television game show Taskmaster into a nation-wide competition for quarantined British families.

The show, which has been on air since 2015, used to centre around five contestants being asked to do something bizarre. I vaguely remember "impress a mayor" being one such assignment.

I was unaware of the direction the show had taken with the arrival of the pandemic, until I stumbled across a YouTube video last week. In that case, the assignment (which had apparently been the second virus one) had been to transform the bathroom into "a great night out".

The following is Task #7, which I tripped over yesterday:


My knee-jerk reaction to watching these is "Golly, some people have way too much time on their hands!"

Then it occurred to me. That's the point.

No comments: