Saturday 20 July 2024

Out of pocket

So I'm sitting there minding my own business, the credits rolling on a less-than-stellar movie that I felt I should watch, when my pocket goes:  WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP-WHOOP, and I haul my phone out of my pocket to scan the screen in disbelief.

Somehow, I've managed to pocket-dial 911, and a message advises me that it's counting down to phoning my emergency contacts -- which include elder daughter in London, where it's currently just before dawn: 5-4-3... I hit the "cancel" button in a whirl of adrenaline and bafflement.

A couple of moments later, my phone rings, and a cheerful voice asks me if I'm okay, and would I please identify myself and my location.  I'm still so flustered that it takes a second for me to recall where I am.  I explain what happened and she laughs, saying it happens all the time.

It does??  

No comments: