Wednesday 17 July 2024

Worn out and needing a lullaby

 Had a circular sawblade, where I should have had a heart
You kept your boat afloat for so long
I was trusted, I adored her, and I tore it all apart
I saw you try and stop the sunset on your own

Twin moons on a millpond, and a tumbledown barn
I'll forever want your ancient silver gravity
I can still taste the heat of the sun on her skin in my arms

I could fold to the cold of these January streets
Keep your hand around the fickle flame of morning-after
But your smile in the half-light was pure pillow-print cheek
An angel tangled in the very cloths of heaven

I'll be far away for a while, but my heart's staying put
Warming and guarding and guiding the one that I love

The silence and the waiting and the rush of all aboard
Fifty souls to a carriage I'm trying hard to be ignored
Then my telephone shakes into life and I see your name
And the wheatfields explode into gold either side of the train

No comments: