Sunday 24 October 2021

Accio, mask

Today, it is the fourth anniversary of our flight from Hades.  Three time zones away, elder daughter, having attended a thrice-postponed wedding, is leaving Ottawa herself, returning to her new life in London.

As is my practice, when I find myself masked, distanced, and at the head of the line at the coffee shop, I turn to ask the person behind me if I might slip in, drop my packsack on a table, and resume my place.

This morning, it's a rather dapper gentleman.

"Do you happen to have a mask?" he inquires.  "I seem to have dropped mine somewhere on the way here; I had it when I left home..."

"I keep a spare in my packsack," I say.  "Give me a moment."

I plop my packsack on the table, and paw through one of the side pockets, before returning to the door, with the mask dangling by its long strings. It's a double tie design, purchased early in the pandemic.

"Make sure Harry Potter is right-side-up," I advise with an apologetic air.  He fastens it cheerfully over his neat moustache.  It looks a bit incongruous with his impeccable navy raincoat.

"I like your mask!" I hear one of the baristas greet him.  Fortunately, she has the disposable kind on hand, and I think he and I are equally relieved when I reclaim Harry Potter.

After all, I need him for Hallowe'en.

No comments: