Sunday 31 October 2021

"Igor is a chain-smoker; look where it got him!"

 One of the things I do on Hallowe'en is listen to the Spotify playlist I pulled together.  It's got my favourites: "Werewolves of London" (Warren Zevon), "Time Warp"(Rocky Horror Picture Show), "Skeleton" (Fionn) "Ghost" (Indigo Girls)....

All in all, about two hours of spooky music.

Of course, I have "Monster Mash", but that's only because Spotify doesn't have Bobby "Boris" Pickett's ghoulish (and rather more grammatically correct) take on a 1947 ditty penned by Merle Travis and Tex Williams:  "Smoke! Smoke! Smoke That Cigarette"

Well, thank goodness for YouTube.

Now, I'm a fellow with a heart of gold  
And the ways of a gentleman I've been told 
The kind of a person who wouldn't harm a flea 
But if I and a certain character met 
The man that created the cigarette 
I'd murder the so-and-so in the first degree
 
Not because I don't smoke myself 
And I don't suppose they'll harm my health 
I've smoked all my life and I'm not dead yet 
But you nicotine slaves look a little more pale 
Each time you light up a coffin nail
Go ahead, have another cigarette 

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette 
(Go on, take a puff!)
Puff, puff, puff 
And if you smoke yourself to death 
Tell St Peter at the Golden Gate 
That you hate to make him wait 
But you've just got to have another cigarette

The other night, I had a date
with the cutest little girl in the fifty states,
A high-grade, uptown, fancy graveyard pet
I gave her a kiss and a little squeeze,
And she said, "Boris, excuse me please,
I've just got to have another cigarette!"

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
(Dig your own grave.)

Sweet dreams.

No comments: