Sunday 3 October 2021

And Andrei isn't here

I'm listening to music one morning, while going about my business, when I find myself stopping to focus.

A beautiful baritone voice sings slowly, and repetitively: There's a war going on somewhere out there -- and Andrei isn't here.  

What?  What on earth is this?


 
 The baritone is joined by a full chorus, singing in close harmony. They start adding names, and adjectives. It's clearly a cumulative song, like the songs you sing at Christmas time (Twelve Days of Christmas; Must Be Santa), in kindergarten and primary grades (I Know an Old Lady), or around the campfire.  They work as drinking songs, too.  

This one has a real drinking song vibe.

. . .Anatole is hot
Marya is old-school
Sonya is good
Natasha is young

And Andrei isn't here!

Every now and then, the chorus explains:  This is all in your programme.  You are at the opera.  You're gonna have to study up a little bit, if you want to follow the plot, 'cause it's a complicated Russian novel; everyone has nine different names, so look it up in your programme, we'd appreciate it; thanks a lot!

And I'm thinking: They got that right!

I tried reading The Brothers Kamarazov once, because I love the Parable of the Grand Inquisitor.  It's true, I couldn't keep track of anyone.  Every time they were addressed by someone different, their names changed.

The chorus breaks the cumulative bit to sing exuberantly:  Chandeliers and cavier - the war can't touch us here! before resuming, in fully layered harmony: MINOOOOOR CHARACTERS!

Okay, what is this? I wonder, finally going to the computer screen.  It's Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, which, as it happens, I have heard of, because I've seen excerpts on television.  I thought it was about some sort of astronomer.

The chorus is reaching the end of the number, which turns out to be the "Prologue", and they sing plaintively:  What about Pierre? Rich, unhappily married Pierre?

Wait a minute.  Is this War and Peace?

It is.  A tiny bit of War and Peace.  The part where Andrei wasn't there.

Before you get impressed that I recognised it - and if you're not impressed, please don't tell me - let me assure you that this is only because, when the pandemic was really getting underway, I decided to binge-watch the 2016 television version - which does try to cover the whole novel. I mainly remember the bit about Pierre being miserable.

Intrigued, I decided to continue listening, and frankly, the Prologue is the best part.  (Rather like the fact that you can safely stop watching A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum after "Comedy Tonight".) 

Although the final few minutes, with the comet, are wistful and lilting.  Not a bad way to go out.
(The baritone is Josh Groban.)

No comments: