Wednesday 27 October 2021

An angel whispered trick or treat

The neighbourhood started oozing Hallowe'en decorations before Thanksgiving.  I think everyone is eager to have a real Hallowe'en, although you hear of scaredy-cats who don't want to shell out this year either.

Much as "Boxing Day" has been highjacked into "Boxing Week", or even "Boxing Month" by the merchants, I've been hearing the phrase "Hallowe'en Week".

Well, I'm prepping the pumpkins today, so I might as well get into the mood.  I didn't hear this 1992 Hallowe'en tune by Richard Shindell until a couple of years ago.  It combines the bitterness of a busted up love affair with dreamlike and nightmarish aspects of All Hallows Eve.  

It's a toe-tapper.


You took the toaster when you went 
You never paid your half the rent 
You took the spices from the rack 
But you don't have to put 'em back 
'Cause in your haste on Halloween 
You left your camera on the bed 
Where we played roles in black and white 
You left a roll of black and white 
I set the timer and thought of you 
And put the lens up to my head 
I took a photograph for you 
What comes out grey is really red 
Are you happy now? 

I smashed your pumpkin on the floor 
The candle flickered at my feet 
As goblins flew across the moon 
The children peered into the room 
A cowboy shivered on the porch 
As Cinderella checked her watch 
A hobo waited in the street 
An angel whispered trick-or-treat 
But what was I supposed to do 
But to sit there in the dark? 
I was amazed to think that you 
Could take the candy with you too  
So, are you happy now? 

I've sat all night and now it's dawn 
And I cannot believe my eyes 
There's garbage strewn across the lawn 
Where we once stared up at the sky 
And streams of paper fill the tree 
That hovered over you and me 
Shaving cream covers the car 
That we picked up in Baltimore 
Though I know it's hard to tell 
I hope that what's-his-name treats you well 
I still maintain that he's a bum 
But it's your money – have some fun 
And are you happy now? 

You always asked why I had not 
Written you a verse or two 
Since that's the one thing I regret 
I dedicate this one to you 
So, are you happy now? 
Are you?

No comments: