Wednesday 14 September 2022

There's a demon and an angel in my belly

A few weeks ago, I dropped by the Marble Slab Ice Cream Store, because I was running errands and running out of steam. There was a knot of people ahead of me, and I realised, because of the tee-shirt of a statuesque women taking a leadership role amongst them, that they were ESL students from the University of Victoria, under the guidance of what we used to call "monitors", then euphemised to "cultural assistants".  I have tremendous respect for the work they did - except those that slept with the students (a minority, I believe).

I have fond memories of the English language programmes at UVic, particularly the summer programme, where the majority of the students were Québécois - not I ever played favourites, of course.

Last week, I heard this song at the coffee shop, and, although this song is recent, it brings back the feel of those summers, and the endearingly insular young men and women in my classes.

 

No comments: