Wednesday 10 March 2010

Oh heck, I can't resist this...

Anyone who spends any amount of time on the internet, but not long enough to keep up with the trends, needs a web site such as Know Your Meme. Not only does the site provide patient explanations of viral videos such as "Keyboard Cat", it also provides definitions of seemingly random expressions that turn up on other people's blogs. For example, I now know what Godwin's Law is.

The following gem is something among KYM's collection of illustrations for the internet concept of "Grammar Nazi". I take particular care not to wade into online batrachomyomachias, and have only been flamed twice: in 2001 and last week. (I don't know if I'll ever summon up the courage to go into detail on the latter, but it did result in Craig Murray's suggesting he might be well-endowed. No, seriously. Although he wasn't. Serious, I mean. I don't think. Oh, never mind. I'm trying to forget the whole embarrassing episode.) However, I have been witness many times to a comment thread spiraling into a fracas of personal insults (always between strangers, ironically enough) and four-letter words. For this reason alone, pressing the "comments" button at CBC.ca is not advisable. It only makes one despair for humanity.

So I should warn you that the following dust-up is full of oaths and cuss-words, if that sort of thing bothers you. It's an actual "discussion" in the comment field of a YouTube video, involving some guy from Switzerland and a gamer from the States, with odd eggings-on from someone of indeterminate nationality. What makes this priceless is that the thread has been dramatized by the team at DrShaym who freely admit that they have stolen this fabulous idea and also apologize for their rendition of a Swiss accent:


I can't say my life has been enriched by these discoveries, but it's a heckuvalotta fun, so I'm passing it on. May your internet interactions be free of trolls.

2 comments:

Jane Henry said...

That is hilarious, Persephone. Thought the Swiss grammar Nazi sounded just like Arnie Schwarzenegger (how very appropriate) - though I expect Arnie can't spell either(-:

Persephone said...

Well, A-a-a-hnold is Austrian, although I'm not nearly savvy enough to tell the difference between a Swiss accent and an Austrian one. I had a delightful Swiss student back in my ESL days; there's really no excuse...