Sunday 3 April 2011

Just ten looks is all it took (write of passage number eighteen)

April in Hades means a sepia world of still-dead grass and weather-beaten brick. We're out of our boots and back into street shoes at last, the beat of our footsteps knocking up the gravel and salt left over from winter into our noses and mouths.

This morning, I'm seated next to a young woman who's busy texting. Directly in front of me, another young woman of similar age keeps glancing back over her shoulder at my seating partner, smiling expectantly. Seating partner does not look up, not even a flicker of an eyelash in this other girl's direction. This goes on as the bus cruises down the long stretch of the Vanier Parkway. I'm starting to feel very sorry for the ignored girl, who persists in repeating her grinning backward glances with not a sign of encouragement from my seat-mate.

It's not until we're nearly at Hurdman Station when it finally dawns on me that the girl in front of me is texting too...

3 comments:

Christie said...

Texting! Love it!

peteraj said...

So good you're back. Haven't been at work for a week (still not) so missed that you were "back". Good, I've missed your sensitive and knowing posts. Cheekily responding to a number of posts in one. First, I read a quote recently "nothing good was ever typed with two thumbs" which seems about right. Secondly, apparently I'm Archer Hairline and I felt enough good thoughts about it to make it my default font, but not enough to download when I found it wasn't already available in Word. Keep cheering me up, life's pretty bloody if you're part of the beleaguered UK public sector just now.

Persephone said...

Don't make me blush, peteraj....