Sunday 24 April 2011

Lamb-inated

My mother, who came to Unitarianism after rather dramatically walking out of a Church of England service when she realized she didn't believe the Creed, tried to explain Easter to me when I was about five or six. Of course, the trouble with explaining Easter is that you have to start with Good Friday, so she kept it simple and said that Jesus was nailed to a cross. This was a tad too simple for me; I thought they had nailed his clothes to the cross, and couldn't figure out why that would kill him. Not long afterward, I noticed, for the first time, the crucifix on the bedroom wall of the Catholic girl who took care of us for her room and board. With a thrill of horror, I realized the nails had gone through Jesus' feet and hands. I started noticing crucifixes everywhere. Why? Why would they put up such a scary thing? And why did they call it Good Friday if such a bad thing happened on it?

After several years of living with a practising Anglican, I suppose I understand it a bit better, although I still get thoroughly disconcerted at the Palm Sunday service which features that disturbing hymn "Ride On, Ride On in Majesty": "In lowly pomp, ride on to DIE!" sings the congregation at the Resident Fan Boy's church with great relish. I can't help but think of a scene early on in the movie Gandhi where a minister is helped on to the top of a moving train by friendly Hindus, one of whom says conversationally: "I know a Christian. She drinks blood. Blood of Christ, every Sunday."

Christmas is a an easy concept; a baby gets born, lovely. Easter is a bit messier, isn't it? This might explain a couple of the downright creepy cakes that have recently appeared on the very funny web site Cake Wrecks: Oh dear. I guess this is what happens when you mix up the ideas of the end of a Lenten fast, holiday sweets, a sweet cuddly baby animal, and the concept of sacrifice. (And why would anyone want cake slices that look like lamb chops?) There's one that's even worse, but you can go look at it yourself, if you want the nightmares. It's the fifth photo down.

To confuse matters even further, Canada's Space Channel has been running an Easter Doctor Who Marathon since Maundy Thursday. Young daughter is particularly discombobulated because, along with the whole of Seasons Five and Six, they've included all the Christmas specials. "Isn't it Easter?" she asked.

Of course, the upside of this is that for the first time ever, Canadians have been able to see the brand-spanking-newest episode of Doctor Who merely a few hours after the Brits got to see it, so it's safe to surf the internet and not be spoiled. And since the Doctor is an alien with the ability to regenerate, it kind of fits in with the whole Resurrection thing, right?

I never feel qualified to speak of a new Doctor Who episode until I've viewed it at least twice, so maybe that will be my post tomorrow...

4 comments:

JoeinVegas said...

And the winner of the Tardis contest wins 47 years of the Doctor on DVD

Persephone said...

They'll have a trick covering the gap between 1989 and 2005, won't they? There's only that movie....

Rob said...

I hadn't encountered Cake Wrecks before. It's filled a gap in my life I didn't know was there (primarily the one shaped like a Happy Hysterectomy cake - 1 Jul 09). Thanks a bunch.

Persephone said...

Oh dear, Rob! How much trouble am I in?