Monday 25 April 2011

They didn't keep on killing Rory

At last. Something to make Saturday evening television watching bearable. The Space channel has made this season's Doctor Who available for Canuck Whovians within hours of the episodes' airing in Britain. Of course, we have constant commercial interruptions and promos for Space's vast array of blood-spattering vampire shows, but at least we don't have to illegally download the series anymore, which saves us both time and bandwidth.

How does it look so far? Let's start with the stuff that I find distracting. (Note: anything that pulls me out of the willing suspension of disbelief is a liability):

1) We're starting with a two-parter. Now, I can understand why, because the plot requires that the Doctor has not seen his companions for a matter of months. (Or weeks. Or years. I probably need to watch this a third time.) However, every single other New Who season opener has had rather more levity to it. The world has always been in danger, that's a given, but the season traditionally starts with a light-hearted romp. Two-parters tend to be a bit more serious. This one certainly is.

2) Historical bobbles. Granted, these are petty, but they put me off. The hair is way too long for 1969, especially for government types. Long-hair really didn't become mainstream until the seventies. Plus, we have an African-American Secret Service agent issuing orders. Really? In Richard Nixon's White House? Kennedy hired the first black secret service agent in 1960 (he lasted about three months), and African-Americans make up something like ten percent of the Secret Service fifty years later, but I doubt there were many, if any, serving Nixon in the late sixties, and they certainly would not be yelling at Nixon about "engaging with the suspect". (Or whatever he said. I'll definitely have to watch it again.)

3) An American lady (played by an American actress, as it happens) says: "Hang on, didn't I just say that?" Wouldn't she say something like "Wait a minute"? Americans do say "hang on", but not in this context which is a British usage. Again, it's petty, but it knocks me out of the story, and I have to waste time getting back in.

The good stuff:

1) Steven Moffat and his twisty-turny, timey-wimey complex plots. It usually means I have to watch his show several times to wrap my poor excuse for a brain around them, but he's also very, very funny, so it's not a hardship.

2) River Song. Gawd, I love River Song. River Song and Emma Thompson are the closest I've come to girl crushes. If we can't have Elizabeth Sladen anymore, can we have Alex Kingston in her own River Song spin-off series? Please?

3) I do like Matt Smith as the Doctor, particularly when he drops his voice. I'll never fancy him, but I didn't fancy Christopher Eccleston either and he worked, too.

4) They promised to kill off a major character in this episode and it wasn't Rory. Thank goodness. That really would have been over-kill.

I guess the "ayes" have it. Not one of my top ten episodes, but it passes the Persephonic Doctor Who Multiple Viewing Test. And by the way, I'm not promising to review each episode. Aren't you relieved?

8 comments:

chatterbox said...

I love River Song. My heart lifts every time she says 'hello sweetie'.

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

I think it would have risked too much 'meh' to make it Rory AGAIN...

Persephone said...

Oh, me too, cb! They say they will reveal who River Song is this season, and I'm almost sorry because I love her air of delicious mystery!

Jane Henry said...

I adore River Song too, though my children can't stand her, even tho' the two big ones have the kudos (?) of attending Alex Kingston's school...

I have so many theories about her after this episode, but I particularly loved her explanation to Rory of why a worse day was coming, and how everytime she knows the Doctor more, he knows her less... HEARTBREAKING....

Jane Henry said...

PS Have a blogging/twitter friend who may be moving to Canada. She is concerned she may not get to see Waking the Dead's follow up the Body Farm (have reassured her that you do get to see Dr Who(-:). Have no idea if you get Waking the Dead, even!

Persephone said...

I haven't seen anything about Body Farmout here yet, but Waking the Dead has appeared on several channels here in Canada and is currently in repeats on BBC Canada.

Jane Henry said...

Oh thanks for that. 9th series of WTD just been shown here and is last. The Body Farm is a spin off with Tara Fitzgerald's Eve at its centre.Looks good. Last in series of WTD was mad and bonkers & compelling as ever...Not quite sure why the Beeb have canned it.

peteraj said...

Yes, Alex Kingston, a woman that men admire rather than the women (Cheryl Cole etc) that women think men admire!

More seriously, Matt Smith is the first Doctor to be nominated for a BAFTA. I love his stern/humourous counterpoint.