Wednesday 4 July 2012

Literary England

This nifty poster appeared on a distant cousin's Facebook page. I saved it to my computer to get a better look at it, and this turned out to be a fortunate thing, because the item suddenly disappeared from the said cousin's page. Copyright? Do you think I'll get a warning? I think it's from Waterstone's, a bookshop we don't have here in Canada.

Anyway, before this disappeared, the cousin remarked that Charles Dickens did not appear to be on it, and I think she may be right; I checked Southampton where he was born and Chatham where he was a small boy, and he doesn't appear to be in the London area at all, which is odd when you consider this year is the 200th anniversary of his birth. I also failed to find Oscar Wilde in Dublin, where I expected, but he's there, evidently in the Reading area where he spent the last years of his imprisonment, so I guess that works.

I was going to write about something else, but I'm packing for the trip to Victoria. (I hate packing.) I'm tired and I want to go to bed. So I hope this will enlarge for you if you click on it, but if it doesn't, I'm too bushed to do anything about it. God give you goodnight.

1 comment:

chatterbox said...

Now that is brilliant. Just think of the hours I can have debating (quite possibly with myself) whether they have got the right writer in the right place. You can buy it online here http://www.theliterarygiftcompany.com/literary-map-2678-p.asp